Representing Westchester Values
I’ll fight for our values. Here in Westchester, we have a proud, bipartisan tradition of defending the environment, a woman’s right to choose, and equal rights for all our citizens and I’ll continue to defend them. We have work to do in order to:
- Support a woman’s right to choose – I am pro-choice. I believe every woman should be free to make her own health care decisions without government interference. I’ll always support a woman’s right to choose, and will strongly oppose right-wing efforts to roll back women’s reproductive freedom. That’s why I’ve been endorsed by pro-choice organizations like WCLA-Choice Matters and NARAL.
- Preserve Marriage Equality and expand civil rights – I am pro Marriage Equality. You can count on me to protect Marriage Equality and to fight against discrimination of every kind.
- Protect the environment – The environment is a top priority. I’ll work to avert potentially serious environmental accidents and to prevent hydro-fracking from contaminating our ground water. As a White Plains Councilman, I authored innovative legislation to protect the environment. I wrote the law requiring the first energy-efficient white roof in White Plains, established new rules cracking down on illegal dumping, and created new parkland while protecting our existing open space by preventing development around environmentally sensitive sites.
- Enact sensible gun control – While it is important to respect every law-abiding citizen’s right to own a gun if they so choose, we must also enact sensible regulations that keep guns out of the hands of criminals and that protect our families. I support common sense measures that keep us safe without burdening responsible gun owners by keeping guns out of the hands of domestic violence perpetrators and microstamping cartridge casings to make it easier for law enforcement to track down criminals.
- Increase state aid for public education – I attended Westchester public schools from kindergarten through high school, and I’ll make sure that every school district has the resources it needs to offer our children a quality education. I’ve successfully fought to increase state aid to our local schools to reduce our property taxes and invest in our future. Taxpayers and school districts need help from Albany in these tough times, and I’ll make sure they receive it.